Can I put my barred rocks outside now?

marcosmommy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
I apologize if this is a stupid or repeat question, but I'm a newbie to "chickening". I live in NNY and it is around 40-50 deg during the day (but usually rainy and windy), and 30-40 deg at night. My barred rocks are 8 wks old and fully feathered. I have been keeping them in the garage in a lg box and I would like to move them to the outside coopbecause they are getting big and crowded and are pretty messy.

My husband built a "chicken hut" that is a 5x6x2ft box up on stilts with a little run going up to the entrance. 3 of the sides are coveredwith plywood, and one side is just covered with a wire mesh. The floor is also wire mesh. I was thinking I would lay some straw across the floor to insulate it a little and stack small staw bales against the wire mesh wall to keep the wind out until it warms up a little more here.

It is still pretty chilly here, but I know that barred rocks are supposed to be pretty cold hardy. Any thoughts would be greatly apprectiated
smile.png

Is the garage around the same temp as the coop- I would probably put ome type of insulation down - I am also a bit new and when I got my 1st hens it was warm put-
hopefully someone who knows better will answer.

Good luck !

ooh!! 8 wks is great! mine were not even a month when i put them out, and theres alot of em so they just cuddle together
love.gif

yeah, 8 wks. is fine, in my opinion
smile.png

It should be ok to put them out. If you want, you can let them out for a few hours each day to sort of acclimatize them first. I had mine out all night at 5 weeks and a few nights it got into the 30's, there were five of them. I started them out by a few minutes each day when they were very young and gradually increased the time each day until it was all night.

Thanks for the advise! We have been putting them outside during the day and bringing them in when it starts to get dark out for the past week or so. I was all excited to get the chicks out for the night tonight after reading your posts, and then I woke up this morning and the ground was covered with snow! I'll probably wait a couple more days now before I put them out all night. Oh well, I guess thats part of living in NNY:).

Sounds like you are doing good then!

Once they are big enough and as long as there is no snow on the ground the chickens/chicks go outside, they would much rather be there than stuck inside!

Back
Top Bottom