Can I put my chicks out for a bit?

PearlaMae123

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2017
15776676-88C7-473D-B960-539B13A3E98A.jpeg

I want to get my 4.5 week old EE chicks used to being outside. They haven’t had any real outside experience yet and I don’t want them to be too freaked out when we move them. It’s 60 degrees and sunny today, is that ok? I was thinking of putting them on the grass under an upside-down laundry basket. They could have holes to see, but the big chickens couldn’t get to them.
Thanks

Have you progressively been reducing the heat inside the brooder? If they have gotten down to around 70-75 degrees inside, a little bit of time outside shouldn't hurt. But to switch them from a 90 degree brooder to 60 degrees in an unfamiliar environment would shock them a bit more than is best.

Have you progressively been reducing the heat inside the brooder? If they have gotten down to around 70-75 degrees inside, a little bit of time outside shouldn't hurt. But to switch them from a 90 degree brooder to 60 degrees in an unfamiliar environment would shock them a bit more than is best.
They’ve been in a 75-80 brooder

They should be fine for a little while. I always say get them outside as early as possible, the exposure to the germs in soil etc is good for their immune systems. The laundry basket sounds like a good idea.

I should add that I base this on the fact that my broody hens always want to take their chicks out of the nest by around a week old, so it can't be bad for them.

I put my almost 4 wk old chicks outside permanently with no heat starting this morning. Temp 60-75. If they have feathers, how can they be too cold? They haven't had the heat lamp for a couple days in preparation and have been outside for most of the day the last few days. I started taking them outside at about 10 days old. I think chickens are pretty hardy animals.

Back
Top Bottom