Can i put my daughter in school early? (teachers? moms? anyone? HELP)

BellLisamo

Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Tombstone, AZ
How do they test the kids?

She will turn 4 September 24th. She can write her name and can sing the alphabet, she can count to 15...

When i was 4, my bday is sept. 25th, my mom snuck me in.

Anyone put their kids in school early? Tell me how! Please!!

She LOVES sunday school, and kings club on wednesday at the church.

I would love for her to go to school....

Help???

I don't know about where you are located (I belive the rules vary by state) Here in Wisconsin, there is a 4 year old kindergarten, offered by almost every school district in this area. Check with your school district locally - if there is a program, they would know how to direct you. (in the mean while..ENJOY..they are little for such a short time)

In our school district, you can not put your child in school early. She has to be 5 by September 1 to start Kindergarten. And I don't think sneaking them in is really an option, in our age of computers...we have to show their Birth Certificate.

Some options would be: Mothers Day Out (we have that at many churches), Pre-K program, a private pre-school, Montessori School...or Home School!

Contact your local school and they will test her for thier version of the early intervention program wich is from 3 up to 5 years old.Its like pre school through the public school.

Each school district has it's own cutoff date. If your child is near that date, you might have the option to decide to enroll her "earlier" or "later".

One thing that should be considered is how your child will be with a particular social group. Sometimes, children show great academic promise at an early age, but, due to their social and emotional level, have a difficult time.

It's natural for parents to want their children to excel at a young age. In the work world, few people want to know how old their colleagues were when particular skills were mastered.

All the best,
Suzy

frow.gif

Most schools won't let you put your kids in early. If she is 4 in mid-Sept then she would be a full year younger than the youngest allowed child. If you meant she would be five in September, that is different. My son has an August birthday, and has children in his class up to 15 months older than he.

My kindergarten expects a child to know at least 20 sight words by then end of kindergarten and know their numbers to 100, and to begin adding with dots to help. Kindergarten is not what it was when I was a child. I do not recommend sending your child early.

Where we live we have a head start or a Pre K program. They only have 25 openings and they test your kid to see how smart they are. If they know to much they won't let them in. It's a free program and they only take the ones who might have a little bit of a struggle in Kindergarden. It with the public school system here.

Most states wont allow early entry into regular school - but you can enter into Pre-K and its recommended. Check with your local school board to find out.

My son and daughter couldnt start until they were 6 because of their birthdays (DD's is in Dec and DS's is in Oct - he missed the cutoff by 2 weeks
roll.png
) - HOWEVER - that being said,... I"m GLAD they couldnt go at 5 because although they, like your child, were way ahead at the age of 4 - by the age of 6, they were WELL ahead of their peers and were placed in the advanced / gifted programs all through their schooling - even now.

ETA: How about letting her attend preschool every day (does your church offer it?) and see how she likes it? Its a HUGE transition if a child isnt in a daily program at least a few months prior to regular school starting to go from being home with mommy all day to suddenly being torn away for 8 hours and on her own without mom
sad.png
If you cant do 5 day a week, work her up by doing 3 days a week and then go from there. You may find out she'll have anxiety being gone from you more than 2 hours or so.... and its better to find that out NOW vs. when real school starts.

And.. they're only little once.. enjoy the time you have with her, before too long, she's going to be all grown up and on her own.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom