1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I put two sets of hens and chicks in together?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thehollos, Mar 18, 2008.

1. thehollos

thehollos New Egg

Mar 13, 2008
    Hi, I have two hens with chicks about 1 week apart. Can I put them all in together as I am fast running out of room?
    Will the mothers of the other chicks attack each others chicks?
    I also have a non broody hen and she attacks them when ever she can get at them but she will be kept seperate.
    Thankyou

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You should be able to. Try putting them together at night, so they wake up together, it seems to help them get along better.

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Depends on the hens, I had a pair that one hen attacked the other, but wouldnt accept the others babies, the Other accepted both sets of chicks so the attacking hen went back with main flock, so one mom raising all babies. The attacker took about 5 minutes to be DONE with her broodiness. Maybe she was just trying to cause trouble so she could get away from the kids.

4. eggchicken master

eggchicken master Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    white salmon,washington
    dont do it. they WILL fight. mother hens are extremly territorial, and you will be very lucky to have all the chics live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by