Can i raise one chick

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. IM GOING TO GET ONE SILKIE AND A BANTAM
big_smile.png

I see you keep referring to the upcoming chick as a she. Keep in mind that unless you get a sex link or auto sexing breed, your chicks(s) could end up being male. You should find out how your parents would feel about a crowing house pet first.

You could look into getting seramas too. They are really small and alot of people keep them as house chickens.

I'm okay with this whole house chicken idea but think the approach is going to lead to over bonding (think dog with separation anxiety issues) and missed opportunities for the chicken to act like a chicken (scratching, dust bathing, etc) due to being handled 18 hrs a day. But in the end this is your pet and you will do what you feel is right.

I see you keep referring to the upcoming chick as a she. Keep in mind that unless you get a sex link or auto sexing breed, your chicks(s) could end up being male. You should find out how your parents would feel about a crowing house pet first.

You could look into getting seramas too. They are really small and alot of people keep them as house chickens.

I'm okay with this whole house chicken idea but think the approach is going to lead to over bonding (think dog with separation anxiety issues) and missed opportunities for the chicken to act like a chicken (scratching, dust bathing, etc) due to being handled 18 hrs a day. But in the end this is your pet and you will do what you feel is right.
Seramas sound interesting but how friendly would you say they are?
When I was talking about being with my chicks all the time a ment when the chicks are very young and needs supervision. When my chicks get to 4 weeks of age, they will be moved to a large walk in chicken coop out side 10ft by 28ft 7ft tall the bottom of the coop is a cement wall 1/2ft tall and 1/2ft underground
to keep predators out and instead of chicken wire there are steel bars with a white powder coat finish the bar spaceing is 1in. With a atached shed on the side 10ft by 6 ft 7ft tall and is insulated. but they will be let inside the house in the morning. and on weekends I'll take them to the farmers market and flea market and once a month the feed store. we will only be out for at the most 4 hours they will have water and food. As for dust bathing I'm building a covered area 5ft by 3ft 2ft tall a wooden box filled with extra fine very dry dirt. I will feed them live meal worms and chicken scratch from the feed store as treats. I found a vet in my area who said she can give my chickens there shots and any meds they may need. I would show you pics but my mom dosn't what me sharing pics of are property with strangers.

Seramas sound interesting but how friendly would you say they are?
When I was talking about being with my chicks all the time a ment when the chicks are very young and needs supervision. When my chicks get to 4 weeks of age, they will be moved to a large walk in chicken coop out side 10ft by 28ft 7ft tall the bottom of the coop is a cement wall 1/2ft tall and 1/2ft underground
to keep predators out and instead of chicken wire there are steel bars with a white powder coat finish the bar spaceing is 1in. With a atached shed on the side 10ft by 6 ft 7ft tall and is insulated. but they will be let inside the house in the morning. and on weekends I'll take them to the farmers market and flea market and once a month the feed store. we will only be out for at the most 4 hours they will have water and food. As for dust bathing I'm building a covered area 5ft by 3ft 2ft tall a wooden box filled with extra fine very dry dirt. I will feed them live meal worms and chicken scratch from the feed store as treats. I found a vet in my area who said she can give my chickens there shots and any meds they may need. I would show you pics but my mom dosn't what me sharing pics of are property with strangers.
I am thinking of getting some Serama eggs this summer.
big_smile.png

Here's the site I am getting them from: http://www.castledelightseramas.com/ There's some information about Seramas there. I learned a lot from this site too: http://www.jerrysseramasllc.com/

Last edited:
[COLOR=FF0099]Seramas sound interesting but how friendly would you say they are? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF0099]When I was talking about being with my chicks all the time a ment when the chicks are very young and needs supervision. When my chicks get to 4 weeks of age, they will be moved to a large walk in chicken coop out side 10ft by 28ft 7ft tall the bottom of the coop is a cement wall 1/2ft tall and 1/2ft underground [/COLOR][COLOR=FF0099]to keep predators out and instead of chicken wire there are steel bars with a white powder coat finish the bar spaceing is[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0099] 1in[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0099]. With a atached shed on the side 10ft by 6 ft 7ft tall and is insulated[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0099]. but they will be let inside the house in the morning. and on weekends I'll take them to the farmers market and flea market and once a month the feed store. we will only be out for at the most 4 hours they will have water and food. As for dust bathing I'm building a covered area 5ft by 3ft 2ft tall a wooden box filled with extra fine very dry[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0099] dirt. I will feed them live meal worms and chicken scratch from the feed store as treats. I found a vet in my area who said she can give my chickens there shots and any meds they may need. I would show you pics but my mom dosn't what me sharing pics of are property with strangers.[/COLOR]

You have really researched this issue, and anticipated all their needs, and I really commend you for that! Not like buying chickens on the spur of the moment and then trying to figure out how to keep them healthy. I would say almost any breed would be happy with what you've created for them. Silkies are nice, but I've had some Silver Grey Dorkings that are unusually friendly and intelligent, so I want to give a shout out to them as well.

Seramas are pretty friendly. My mom takes one of ours in to see her preschool class every year. All of the kids get to pet and hold her, and she shows infinite patience. The kids all ADORE her.

I just got some chicks. Unfortunately, only one has made it. Now I'm afraid she will get lonely. She sometimes cries out and will only stop when she's carried or if you put your hand in. Will she make it this way?

Regardless of what some say or believe a chicken will never bond with you like I think that you wish it to.

New hatched chicks do have the ability to bond with the first big and mobile thing that they see after hatching. Don't mistake this for a bond of love. Their mama, you, or a wheelbarrow is all the same to the baby chick. While the chick belongs to you and I support you in which ever fashion that you chose to rear your chick, your chicken will be happier and healthier with a chicken playmate or two. Bantams are imho opinion a better choice for what you have in mind.

Back
Top Bottom