Can I recycle a shed into a chicken coop?

(Sorry, I forgot that it gets cold. I need to rethink my original plan. :hmm)
Lol! It's ok. We get minus 10+ temps all winter here. And we've already gotten over a foot of snow. However, it was 68 degrees today. Wonderful working weather.

Cold is not generally the problem for chickens. They are equipped with natural down coats.

In fact, rather than drilling a few little holes, it's better to pull some siding off at the tops of the walls just under the roof to allow a free flow of air above the chickens' heads. The usual suggestion is 1 square foot of PERMANENT ventilation per bird -- which doesn't include windows closed in inclement weather or the pop door which is closed at night. :)

Do you have photos of the shed so we can give more specific suggestions?

Cold is not generally the problem for chickens. They are equipped with natural down coats.

In fact, rather than drilling a few little holes, it's better to pull some siding off at the tops of the walls just under the roof to allow a free flow of air above the chickens' heads. The usual suggestion is 1 square foot of PERMANENT ventilation per bird -- which doesn't include windows closed in inclement weather or the pop door which is closed at night. :)

Do you have photos of the shed so we can give more specific suggestions?
I had mentioned in my first post that I can't get pictures of the shed right now, but I'll try to get them soon.

Oh, I also wanted to add something. This shed-coop will just be housing for the chickens if I get it. I'm intending on letting them free range around the yard (okay, more of a pasture) in the daytime, then locking them up at night.

Oh, I also wanted to add something. This shed-coop will just be housing for the chickens if I get it. I'm intending on letting them free range around the yard (okay, more of a pasture) in the daytime, then locking them up at night.

That's fine, but the ventilation is needed day and night both. :) That's why the pop door doesn't count if it's closed at night.

That's what we did with our sheds.
I want the whole shed to be a coop, but my dad turned them into a coop/shed. (I need more henhouse space)
20201031_150103.jpg
20201031_145942.jpg

This year, I've gotten more chickens than I probably should own, and the coop is getting a little too small. With building material prices skyrocketing this year, I have given up on the thought of building a coop, but I also don't want to get another pre-fab coop either. My uncle has a shed that he has been trying to offload recently, and I've considered using that as a coop. It's wood and has a wooden floor (not on posts).
If I were to get it, I would add roosts and nesting boxes, along with a ramp if it needs to be off of the ground. My 2 main questions are (1)could it work as a coop? And (2) should I have it on some sort of support off of the ground?
I'm not in the current position to post pictures or the correct measurements.
Thanks in advance!
My shed to coop conversion.
Before.
IMG_20190208_123858305.jpg

1604539800224.png

After
IMG_20190725_145900262_HDR.jpg

1604539901232.png

1604539923944.png

Back
Top Bottom