can I sell the extra eggs?

norahsmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
south bend area, Indiana
when we get chickens and they get into a laying groove, can I sell extras? I live in the last property in city limits. Its on a 1 acre parcel and we have a large garden every year and decided on getting 25 chickens as well. I was wondering if its legal to just stick a table out in the summer with eggs for sale? Or if I could sell eggs when I have a yard sale and stuff. It might be a silly question.

I have no idea if it's legal, but who's going to tell you no?
wink.png
Most people on here sell some eggs, either for hatching or eating. I say go for it!

i don't know about where you live but i live with two city council members behind be and when i asked them about chickens they said i could have as many as we could afford to keep as long as i was not selling eggs so i don't know.

I just checked in on this where I live and according to what I found here you have to register with the agriculture dept. It doesnt cost anything but to do it legally, you have to register and there is some guidelines you have to follow. That is here though. BUT, I do sell mine to friends and family and no one has said nothing yet. I would just "pass the word" you have fresh eggs and you will be surprised how many people will want them.

You can do an internet search to find out if selling is legal in your state. Try typing in 'selling eggs+(your state).
I sell all my extras to a neighbor and a bunch of guys my SO works with.

Here is what I came up with for my state (Colorado)

"If you plan to sell your eggs for '"retail only", and you produce less than 250 dozen per month, then you are exempt from regulation by the Department of Agriculture. "Retail only" means a stand at your home, selling to friends and neighbors, or at a farmers market.

If you wish to sell your eggs to a local grocery store, or other retail outlet, then there are some regulations you must follow. Please view the Colorado Department of Agriculture's candling, grading and carton labeling requirements.

Additionally, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment requires you to be and "approved source" to sell eggs to stores. Becoming an approved source involves a visit to your farm by an inspector. The inspector will check to see that you have proper facilities to:

* wash
* sanitize
* candle
* grade and
* refrigerate eggs

If you are interested in being recognized as an "approved source", or if you have any other questions, please contact Steve Bornmann."

Sounds pretty reasonable actually

I was thinking about trying to talk to my CO-OP and see if they want to sell some and make a deal. Like I sell them to them for 1.50 a doz and they can sell them for whatever they want and just take it off our feed bill. Any ideas? I have seen some signs there before for eggs for sale.
hmm.png

I agree with the other posts. Some areas do have laws that regulate if you can sell. I have several acres. My zoning is rural residential even though there are several farms in my area. I cannot legally sell directly to the public on my property. I can take my products off the property and sell them or sell wholesale. I have to sanitize and refrigerate my eggs before I take them to the markets I sell to because if someone got sick they could sue me and the market. I suggest word of mouth. You could put a sign up but since you live in the city limits you could get other visitors.

Back
Top Bottom