Can I seperate him during the day?

doghamstyluv95

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2007
My roo has been overmating our babies especially Blackberry, one of our Australorps. She is completely bald on her head and all over her back. I feel horrible for her. She isn't bleeding but her whole body is red. Can we fence in a part of the coop and just lock the rooster in there for the day? I'm getting chicken saddles for the girls that are overly bald but unless I can find chicken hats
lol.png
My baby girl will be bald for the rest of her life. So can I or will he be very depressed? I will make him a shelter so just in case if it starts raining he will still have shelter. I will bring him in at night and he will have food and water. Opinions?

that's why I am hesitant to get a rooster - reading sad stories like this. It must hurt the hen and be unpleasant for them - sounds like he's beating them up.
DH says he would like to get a roo, but it would make me sad to see hurting hens.
What is the opinion about separating the roo and hens for a good portion of the day/night?

It's always a good idea to separate the rooster just like you are thinking of doing when they start overmating the hens...I do this every summer to give the girls a break...mine have chicken tractors I put them in and they are let out to roam the yard when I'm home all day long...

Last edited:
Thank you! My mom and I will soon be building something to keep the little rascal in during the day.

I would definitely separate your roo if he is over mating to give the girls a break. If not it will only get worse. We separate our roo, b/c he was tearing the girls up. It started with one little favorite EE girl back in Nov, but a few months later he started working his way down the flock. There is a good ratio for him to, but I think he is over active. He needs a bachelor place, but I don't have time to build one right now, so we free range him during the day (or chicken tractor if babies aren't using it) and put him in the coop at night after dark when all the girls are asleep. If I free range the girls, then we put him in the run. It's a big pain, but my girls need a break. Good luck. I hope you find a system that works. I wish I would have separated my roo way earlier.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom