Can I/should I hatch turkeys very first egg?

FeatherQueen3

Songster
Jan 13, 2023
Central NC
I’ve googled and can’t seem to find an answer. Is it wise to incubate a turkeys very first egg? I’m waiting on my Narragansett to lay a few more, but wondering if this one can be included in the hatch. It seems a bit small to me but not sure as this is my first experience with heritage breeds.

Attachments

• 953BF087-AB84-40F1-931F-DD3775775C38.jpeg
    953BF087-AB84-40F1-931F-DD3775775C38.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 65
I’ve googled and can’t seem to find an answer. Is it wise to incubate a turkeys very first egg? I’m waiting on my Narragansett to lay a few more, but wondering if this one can be included in the hatch. It seems a bit small to me but not sure as this is my first experience with heritage breeds.
I regularly put first eggs in the incubator. My experience is that the very first egg is usually not fertile.

If it's about the size of a chicken egg then I would wait a couple weeks until the eggs get larger. That's small for a turkey egg.
It depends on the individual turkey. My yearling hen this year started laying eggs that were smaller than the jumbo eggs my white leghorns were laying. Months later she is just now laying an egg only slightly bigger than those leghorn eggs.

Last year's yearling hen also laid small for a turkey eggs. This year she is laying the biggest eggs of all of my hens.

Back
Top Bottom