Can I stack nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SusanJoM, Apr 11, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I don't quite mean to stack them, but I do wonder if I can put three double pre-made boxes on the same wall starting about 6" off the floor and then coming up from there.

I am renovating the chicken coop.

Last October the arrival of a predator cut my free-range flock to bits, and I gave away the survivors to make sure no more got sacrificed. Along comes Spring and I realize I have to have chickens again, so the outdoor run is being re-built (a dump truck of compost leveled it last year), and I am also re-working the inside of the coop to give me more roosting space.

So, I've got 6 pullets (2 light brahma, 2 black australorp, 2 amaraucanas) and 4 straight run bantums (2 black silkies, a silver and a golden sebright) in the brooder.

I've got 4 of those double-wide pre-made boxes, but back when I had a dozen Ameraucanas, they never used more than 2 or 3, so I'm guessing 6 is still overkill. Anyway, the main question, is can I hang them on the wall over each other????

I've been reading the posts on this forum for days and days, and having a wonderful time, but now I'm taking the easy way out and simply asking for input.

Thank you.
    Susan

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    my Nesting boxes are stacked two high. The girls like them just fine that way![​IMG]

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Yes I do believe it will work to stack the boxes. Mine are 4 across and 2 high.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  5. SusanJoM

Thanks, Maggie.

So, that's a good news. And of course, now I have more questions?

How high are each of them off the ground? And how do they get to the second level? Do they simply hurl themselves up, or do they use the first level as a ladder? Or....?

Susan

6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Stacking nesting boxes is fine.... though typically they'll all wait in line for one or two and you'll never know why [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SusanJoM

Quote:It helps BIG TIME !!!!
    I am so glad to be here.
    Susan

8. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:The bottom boxes are about 2 feet off the grond, and the next row is about 18 inches higher, they just fly up there. [​IMG]

9. SusanJoM

Well, everyone, thank you.
    It's not so often in life that you get exactly the answers that you wanted when you asked the question.
    Now back to that coop.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by