Can I stack nesting boxes?

SusanJoM

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
Well, I don't quite mean to stack them, but I do wonder if I can put three double pre-made boxes on the same wall starting about 6" off the floor and then coming up from there.

I am renovating the chicken coop.

Last October the arrival of a predator cut my free-range flock to bits, and I gave away the survivors to make sure no more got sacrificed. Along comes Spring and I realize I have to have chickens again, so the outdoor run is being re-built (a dump truck of compost leveled it last year), and I am also re-working the inside of the coop to give me more roosting space.

So, I've got 6 pullets (2 light brahma, 2 black australorp, 2 amaraucanas) and 4 straight run bantums (2 black silkies, a silver and a golden sebright) in the brooder.

I've got 4 of those double-wide pre-made boxes, but back when I had a dozen Ameraucanas, they never used more than 2 or 3, so I'm guessing 6 is still overkill. Anyway, the main question, is can I hang them on the wall over each other????

I've been reading the posts on this forum for days and days, and having a wonderful time, but now I'm taking the easy way out and simply asking for input.

Thank you.
Susan

my Nesting boxes are stacked two high. The girls like them just fine that way!
smile.png

Thanks, Maggie.

So, that's a good news. And of course, now I have more questions?

How high are each of them off the ground? And how do they get to the second level? Do they simply hurl themselves up, or do they use the first level as a ladder? Or....?

Susan

Back
Top Bottom