Can I stick a dressing/polster directly on a chicken’s skin?

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Following on from my thread about a rooster with a breast blister, I am wondering how I can dress it more easily. The wound is quite far down and it’s very difficult to bandage him around the body, going under the wings, without impacting on his leg or wing movement. The skin is bare of feathers so I was wondering if I could just stick a dressing (or use ‘animal polster’ with dressing underneath) directly onto his skin? I appreciate padding is useful to help take the pressure off but before arriving with us he was sleeping on a dirt floor. Now he is on a few inches of clean chopped straw bedding which I feel should also help. He will not roost because he has issues with his legs - I’m assuming he has mycoplasma synoviae (mycoplasma was already in our flock) and he is on antibiotics.

Any thoughts? Wound was lovely and clean today, 48 hours after clearing all pus and flushing it out. I foolishly removed the scab, panicking it would have pus underneath, but hopefully it’ll scab over again quickly and keep healing. Pic attached is original wound (now less swollen since we cleared it out) and how we are bandaging.

Edited to add: this roo is part of a flock of 8 that my parents have rehomed from poor conditions. They just arrived at the weekend.

Attachments

• 32895DDA-017B-4C22-AB6D-1EC9EE043467.jpeg
    32895DDA-017B-4C22-AB6D-1EC9EE043467.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 13
  • E95D537E-4EEC-45BE-A559-8F11EADEE0AE.jpeg
    E95D537E-4EEC-45BE-A559-8F11EADEE0AE.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sounds like a good bandage for hard to reach places. Should work for the rooster. Consider using neosporin or something similar before applying the bandage.

Thank you. I woke up in the middle of the night, thinking about this chicken (as one does, haha), and had the idea to try a dressing designed for pressures sores in humans. I've now ordered several in different sizes and I hope they might arrive tomorrow and I can give one a go.

Back
Top Bottom