can I stop broody hen, if so, how?

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
I think I have a broody hen, I would have welcomed it a couple of months ago but I just hatched 23 chicks 4 weeks ago. I went to the coop this afternoon to collect eggs like I do every day at 4 and noticed a hen in a nesting box so I waited an hour and checked again, she was still there, waited an hour more, still there, I repeated till 9, still there, I felt under her and she had 4 eggs and she pecked at me. This never happened with her before so I think she is broody. My question is if she is still on the eggs in the morning can I break her of her broodiness by pulling the eggs or should I just let her be?
idunno.gif
will she give up if I pull the eggs?

okay so today is day 2 of lockdown and she was acting up and stomping her feet and promised that she'd be good if I let her out so I gave it a try.. She jumped out , ate some food, took a dirt bath, hung with the other chickens till my back was turned and disappeared back into the coop and I found her snuggled onto an empty nest growling at me...Took one very unhappy bird back to solitary,,, never trust a chicken......

My hens are going broody all the time and it used to drive me mad. Now I have a easy plan that works every time.

I take the broody hen off the nest and put her in a large dog crate in the coop / run, with food and water. I also put a roost in there for her.

After about 2 days and night in there I let her out. Then she is not broody any more. Only once this did not work, so I just put the hen back into the cage for another night and that was that.

I guess I was mean in how I got one of our chickens to get off her eggs. She was a biter and I noticed that she had one chick to hatch and it was dead. I put on long sleeves, work gloves, picked her up from the nest and threw her out in the yard then closed the chicken house door. The dead chick looked like it had been bitten on the neck and/or smashed. I took all the remaing eggs and threw them away out in a field. Then I opened the door & she got in the nest, looked around but then got off and went about her other daily non setting personality.

sierradane.................thank you for being honest. I also sometimes let my anger get ahold of me, but it's good to know that other people can get as angry as myself.

I have a broody hen that I have been putting in a dog crate for a week now, I let her out at night, cause I don't have space to leave it in the coop.
It isn't working....so I have to think of something else.

I put mine in a wire cage with no bedding but food and water. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom