Can I swap out roosters with my flock?

hailie16727

In the Brooder
Sep 24, 2023
Hi Everyone i would like someone to tell me a bit more info on this while i am not new too chickens i am new too roosters. i am planning on having a flock of roosters because i have some in the brooder that i am to attached too. they are all well bred purebreds and i was wonder would i be able too swap them in and out with my flock like have one in there for a month and then put him back in the rooster flock and swap another one in reason being i only have 6 hens and i don’t want any overbreeding happening.? thanks a lot ❤️💕💕

While this would be technically possible, it would cause enormous stress for the females leading to less eggs and also stirr up the hierarchy with both groups causing fights and possible injuries.
This. Chickens and roos become attached to each other, they build relationships and care for each other.

That would work and it's a much better approach than people who allow too many roosters to torment the hens.
Some roosters will be much better to the hens than others, not everyone deserves a chance. And the transitions may be stressful for the girls.

You do want to be careful that the boundary is very secure, and perhaps clip wings (primary feathers on one wing) as well.
I was growing out a bunch of cockerels with a 7ft fence separating them from the main flock of hens. One of the leghorn hens decided to fly over to their side, and the frustrated boys treated her horribly. They had her completely surrounded, pinned by the neck feathers, and kept knocking each other off of her. She was screaming. I made my way to her as quickly as I could through multiple gates, but every moment was a moment too long. Just understand that even though you love them, they don't share your values. Cute chicks can also grow into mean roosters that can hurt your family / friends / neighbors.

would i be able too swap them in and out with my flock like have one in there for a month and then put him back in the rooster flock and swap another one in
While this would be technically possible, it would cause enormous stress for the females leading to less eggs and also stirr up the hierarchy with both groups causing fights and possible injuries.

You can certainly try. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Just because it works for one person does not mean it will work for another. That could be with the girls or with the rooster pad.

I think Aart asked a good question. Why? What are your goals for trying this? What do you hope to achieve by swapping them out? Your goals are what is important to you, not mine or anyone else's. Depending on your goals you might be happier leaving them in a stable situation instead of stirring things up. Or to reach your goals you may need to swap them.

That would work and it's a much better approach than people who allow too many roosters to torment the hens.
Some roosters will be much better to the hens than others, not everyone deserves a chance. And the transitions may be stressful for the girls.

You do want to be careful that the boundary is very secure, and perhaps clip wings (primary feathers on one wing) as well.
I was growing out a bunch of cockerels with a 7ft fence separating them from the main flock of hens. One of the leghorn hens decided to fly over to their side, and the frustrated boys treated her horribly. They had her completely surrounded, pinned by the neck feathers, and kept knocking each other off of her. She was screaming. I made my way to her as quickly as I could through multiple gates, but every moment was a moment too long. Just understand that even though you love them, they don't share your values. Cute chicks can also grow into mean roosters that can hurt your family / friends / neighbors.
i am aware that they may become aggressive and the first time one has even the slightest bit of aggression towards a hen or a person they will be taken care of. i plan on having the rooster pen far enough away too the point they can’t see eachother should
i have them side by side?

Are you aware that you need to wait 3-4 weeks for sperm from a previous male to clear before adding a 'new' male?
yes that’s why y
Are you aware that you need to wait 3-4 weeks for sperm from a previous male to clear before adding a 'new' male?
yes that’s why in my original post a said i’d swap them every couple of months.

Back
Top Bottom