Can I take chicks with me on the airplane

Top Rooster

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 16, 2015
North East Oklahoma
So right now I am visiting family in Idaho and I live in Oklahoma. I went to their local feed store it is way better than ours the chicks are in better health and marked better so I wondered if I could just buy a few and take them with me on the airplane. I've heard of people taking cats and other pets so why couldn't I take chicks?

So right now I am visiting family in Idaho and I live in Oklahoma. I went to their local feed store it is way better than ours the chicks are in better health and marked better so I wondered if I could just buy a few and take them with me on the airplane. I've heard of people taking cats and other pets so why couldn't I take chicks?

Hmmmmm, I bet they would not allow that----interesting though----with the "bird-flu" scare I don't know??

Depending on the carrier, birds can be transported. A certain number of animals can be in the passenger compartment during a flight. They would have to be carried in an airline approved carrier. You will probably be charged per bird which will make the cost rather high and probably not worth it. Call up your airline and ask about their rules and costs.

We were going to transport a parrot 30 years ago. The cost was higher than we wanted to pay.

I almost forgot, you will need to get a health certificate from a vet.

Last edited:
I think that even if you can take chicks on a plane most airlines limit pets to two. It may not be worth it, really. Best to check with the airline. I did hear of someone bringing their turkey as an emotional support animal, though!

One cat or one dog is a lot different than taking chicks on the plane. They will be pooping their butts off, chirping because their carrier isn't warm enough, etc.Plus very young chicks can die at a moments notice. Would be a stressful trip for the chicks and you. Passengers would probably get you thrown off because of smell, etc.

I believe there are rules against transporting chickens in the passenger compartment of an airplane. You would have to call the airline to ask for sure and I'm not certain whether or not they would allow them in cargo.

You could always overnight the chicks to yourself just before leaving on the plane or find out what hatchery the feed store orders from and just place an order yourself. Those would be easier options I think.

Back
Top Bottom