Can I take my chicks outside to play??

ThatGoatGirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Oregon
My chicks are 2 1/2 and 3 weeks old its 80 degrees out today, I was wondering if its ok to take them outside, let them free range in my garden for 1/2 hour or so?? I will sit with them of course.

Absolutely! Let them play! :) I took mine out at one week of age (under supervision of course lol) and they've done just fine. Just make sure they don't act cold. If they start to huddle close together they're probably chilly. Note though that when you first take them out they may do that just because they're scared. Mine couldn't get close enough to me the first time I took them out lol. They would've crawled in my pocket if I let them! :lol: so as long as you pay Attention to their body language you'll be fine ;) you may want to provide some chick grit in case they need it.

Absolutely! Let them play!
smile.png
I took mine out at one week of age (under supervision of course lol) and they've done just fine. Just make sure they don't act cold. If they start to huddle close together they're probably chilly. Note though that when you first take them out they may do that just because they're scared. Mine couldn't get close enough to me the first time I took them out lol. They would've crawled in my pocket if I let them!
lol.png
so as long as you pay Attention to their body language you'll be fine
wink.png
you may want to provide some chick grit in case they need it.

x2

I was just wondering this myself :)

My RIR chicks were hatched on the 4th, and I have to play ninja to keep them in the brood box when I am changing food and water.

It's much cooler up here (50f day temps), but, figured it wouldn't hurt them in short bits. Their wing feathers are in, tails are developing, etc.

Thanks!

I took them out, only for like 10 minutes, they were very curious, but stayed right beside the whole time. Sweet little chickies :)

I would. Just stay with them and have a way to keep them in one area. I once had 2 week old pullets in a tractor in the yard and a very cheeky young red shoulder hawk flew over and landed and had a long looksie at my pullets when I was inside on the phone. So after that I did not leave them alone. They were fine. I later made that tractor like old iron sides and we had those chickens for a long time but just saying. Anything can swoop down or crawl over if you are not there.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom