Can I take my newly hatched chicks outside in their cage brooder with mama pad at one week old?

gringold

Chirping
May 2, 2015
I want to take my chicks out to the coop to brood. It is in the mid 90's and mid 70's here these days. Is that too hot? I am planning on using the mama pad method in my brooder. My brooder is a big dog cage with wire on it and a roof. I did that several weeks ago with my chicks and they did great, but it was not this hot either and they were on my screened in porch. (It is still recovering from that experience) I want them in the coop and I hope they will integrate faster this way.

How old are your chicks? After my chicks hatched, they went with Mama into a black kidney shaped water trough, you get from Tractor Supply, with a screen on top. Mine were on the deck in the shade, with lots of water for the first month. The last couple of weeks, they have been moved out for day play in a confined area where my extra coop is. I have a giant Oak tree, that provides them with 100% shade the whole time they are out there. I waited till they were too big to get through the welded wire fencing I have around the coop.
Mama continues to stay with them, longest she has ever stayed with her chicks. This is her 3rd set in 4 years. And Mama started laying again about a week ago. She laid this morning, tomorrow she will lay mid day, then back to Morning again. For a little 4 year old Banty, she is still a consistent layer.

Just make sure the area you put them in, the wire is small enough that they can not escape through it.

I am going to wait until they are at least a week old. I have three that are more hardy. I may try it with them first. Thank you for your reply.

Go for it. Broody hens don't keep their chicks inside a coop for weeks on end, why should you do any different? As long as they have food, water, and a spot to warm up, and shade to keep cool, they will be fine.

If it's warm out mine spend the day outside in the sunshine on the lawn. I've had them out as early as a few days old. At those temperatures I would only provide heat at night. So move them out.

Back
Top Bottom