Can I tell the pure from the crosses?

they'reHISchickens

Songster
11 Years
Oct 31, 2008
Reading
This is complicated, so bear with me.
I have a pure blue egg tailed Arcauna ( colored mainly black and white)Head Roo and a pure splash Orpington 2nd in command Roo in a flock of 14 hens which includes 2 blue egg EEs, 2 RIR, a splash orp, a blue orp, 2 white orps and 6 black orps. Both roos have been breeding the hens, altho the Arcauna favors the EEs and RIR and the Orp favors the orps.
My question is can I tell from the appearance of the resulting offspring which are pure blood and which are mixed? My theories: The Arcauna with anything should give a rose comb, possible cheek puffs and either blue, green or light olive eggs. They would be EEs.
The Orp roo should produce splashes from the splash or blue, and blues from all the whites and blacks, so anything splash or blue should be pure orp.

I am guessing there will be some that will not fit either category and definitely be mixes.( Discount the RIRs because we won't be hatching those.)
Could a gene geek poke some holes in my theories and show me my errors? I was originally going to separate breeds but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I need to.
please?

Back
Top Bottom