Can I tell who laid what?

scoopsmom

Songster
May 4, 2017
Texas
I recently got my first egg! Which has led to so many questions..first off, I have 4 hens and a rooster. My hens are: 1 bantam Cochin, 1 black star, and 2 gold sex links. The day before I got the first egg my dad heard our Cochin clucking up a storm all day. Next day we find an egg and as soon as I pick up the egg, Ruffles- the cochin- flies all the way from the ground to my shoulders! That is NOT normal behavior for her. So I picked her up and put her in her little roosting area. I put the egg in there with her to see what she'd do and she just pecked at it so I took it out. But then she walked to the exact spot where we found the egg and started scratching around like she was looking for it? The thing is, I read bantam Cochins are usually late layers and their eggs are small and cream colored. This egg was Brown and small.
2 days later we get our second egg and this one IS cream colored and a tad bigger but still small.
Today I go down there to check for eggs and no eggs (yet- I notice they lay in the afternoon) but one of my gold sexlinks is making noises likes she's constipated lol AND my bantam Cochin runs right over to me so I pick her up and she just perches on my arm and let's me pet her like she's my dog or something (also not normal behavior for her... she's sort of skittish).
So first I was wondering if she could lay a brown egg then lay a cream egg later...I read they don't lay different color eggs but it is just a difference in shades.
Second is any of that indicators of egg laying behavior?
20170728_204432.jpg
20170730_152458.jpg

All eggs will be small when the birds are still young and will increase in size as they get older. The eggs also won't change color so you probably had two different birds start laying. My hens do the "constipated" clucking before they lay:lau . As for other behaviors that may indicate egg laying, the chicken will sit on the egg a while after it has been layed, so if you could watch the nesting box and see who goes in, then check for an egg when they leave, you might get your answers. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom