Can I train?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mamma Athena, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Mamma Athena

Mamma Athena Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Delmar, New York
    Hi all,
    My big girl Athena layed 3 eggs for us AWHILE ago! 2 of them made it the other was not so lucky :( we incubated them and I even watched them hatch! How exciting! My baby's chicks! So one of her chicks looks exactly like her she has the feathers on her feet and has the black neck feathers.....basically a pure brahma but she is whight and not brown. But just like Athena my little rue (her baby) is sooo shy :'( I don't want her to be. I want to hold her , cuddle her play ( etc.) ya get the point. So my question is, can I train my 7 week old baby brahma Little Rue to be a friendly chick and not a shy cluck?
    Thanks
    Noelle

2. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    If you want them to respond to you without being shy, you need to start earning their trust. It's easier to do when they are very young. If you just hold them and hand feed them a few times a day, they will gradually learn to trust you. You can bring a treat with you sometimes when you visit the coop - something they will enjoy - and they will soon warm up to you. If you never handle them, then they will turn out to be very shy when they are older, and won't like to be held.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by