Can I treat mites while my hen is brooding?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by attobrig, Oct 25, 2012.

1. attobrig

attobrig Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a Plymouth Rock who is sitting on eggs, only 1 week in, she has bad mites/scaly leg, can I treat her while she is nesting? If so what is the best treatment? Is there an internal medicine available?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Eprinex is a pour-on medicine. It is effective and should cause no harm to her clutch. You are going to need to treat everything and everyone in her vicinity, too though.

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I wonder if you could use DE or wood ashes to sprinkle on the bedding in the nestbox?

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They are both useless on an already established infestation. They are good as a preventative, but once the bugs take hold you need to be more aggressive in your treatment.

5. bigchicken56

bigchicken56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    I would suggest to dip her legs in Olive oil 3 times a week until mites are gone. Take out all the bedding in all the nesting boxes and sprinkle each nesting box well with Permetherin powder. Then freshen all the nesting boxes with a layer of bedding. Transfer the hen and eggs to another nesting site. Then sprinkle the nesting box she was originally in with extra Permetherin.

6. attobrig

attobrig Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks everyone, I have started the oil treatment and will get some powder to do the coops with! Appreciate your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by