Can I tuck my chicks under a broody hen??

EggGardener

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
On Friday, we got three americauna/easter egger chicks. They've been in a brooder in our bathtub and I was getting ready to move them to the garage on Monday. One of our 2-year-old hens has been sitting on eggs since last night, and wouldn't come out to roam when I opened the door this morning. Usually, I just lift her off the eggs and put out some treats and she forgets all about it.
But I've heard of people tucking chicks under a broody hen and letting the hen foster them. Is this true? How successful is it? And are there any special considerations/instructions?
It would be great if the chicks could be raised with the other 4 hens we have....any tips, advice would be helpful!!!

I've done it before. However, for best results, the chicks need to be no more than 3-4 days old for them to accept the mother. Also, for the mother hen to be "ready" and receptive to accepting chicks, she needs to have been sitting [probably] at least TWO weeks, no less. You need to also put them under her at night.

In my case, the hen had been sitting on golf balls for 3 weeks and I hatched the chicks in the incubator and while they were hours old and under cover of darkness, I put them under her.

I tried it twice both times with a cochin. It did not work. The hen attacked the chicks both time. I was told to add the chicks at night, but it still did not work. Another lady said that the chicks have to be no more then a few days old. I tried newly hatched chicks only a few hours old, also with no luck.

Thanks! I think I will stick w/the brooder. Its cold and rainy here, and I'd rather just stick with what has worked for us so far!

Back
Top Bottom