Can I turn an old "outhouse" into a coop with outdoor access?

Gladstonechicks

Hatching
Mar 21, 2017
We've decided to start a little flock of our own with 6 hens and are working on coop plans. The setup we'd like to try is using a 4'x4' old bathroom (the house was built in 1940, so I guess this remains from back then?) that is part of the garage/storage shed in our backyard. There is still an old toilet in there that is not functioning and doesn't appear to have worked anytime recently. Removing it is not feasible at this point, but I thought maybe we could build a cover over it so it isn't accessible. We could put nesting boxes on one wall and have doors from the outside to access the boxes without going in. Would it be feasible to do this and put roosts diagonally across the other corner so that they aren't directly above the nesting boxes? I'm wondering if its possible to do a coop that has more vertical space use rather than horizontal.

This bathroom is only open to the outside, no door hanging currently, so we were going to add a screened-in area that is apprx 8'x4'. Think of a screened pen, 7ft tall with the roosting/nesting area in the 4'x4' room in the back, nesting box access from the outside. We would have some type of roost, etc in the outside part along with the inside.

Any one have thoughts on this type of setup? Can it be done and function well? We have a smallish backyard and are trying to work with what we have instead of having a coop take up a big corner of the yard. I could take a photo of the space currently if it helps. Thanks for any input!

I can't think why that wouldn't work - but the only limitation would be square footage. Chickens need 3-4 sq. ft./bird....so you are looking at about 4 birds. Is that what you had in mind? Also, the toilet still inside eats up more of that space as well. But I am sure you aren't the first to put an old privy to this use! I think that's awesome. Think of the names on sign you could put on your outhouse coop!!!
gig.gif

Also, I see this is your fist post - stop by the New Member Introduction Forum and say hello so we can give you a proper BYC welcome!! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

Now that's a fancy outhouse! I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't see a window. You'll want to figure out ventilation. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom