Can I use a broody in the fall?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I've got a very determined broody and would like nothing more than to see her with chicks. I've got a few questions:
Is it possible to just stick hatchery/TSC chicks under her?
Is it safe for her to raise the chicks in the fall?
What happens if the other chickens pick on them? (she's the lowest in the pecking order)

I would say yes. 2-4 chicks for a first timer would be ideal. And you need to be sure to have brooder supplies on hand if she rejects them.
And you need to set up a small area she and her chicks can be settled in before they have contact with the whole flock. Adult hens can kill a chick with a single blow to their tiny heads.

First off, you should separate her from her flock and place her in a safe and secure place. Make certain that she has a nest with eggs in it. If after 24 hours she's all settled in on those eggs and sitting, then I'd say you're safe to try some chicks.
Sneak one chick at a time under her, and see how she does with it. If she sees it and accepts it, not pecking at it in any way, she should be good with them.
As far as the temps, I got an accidental hatch around this time of year before. It was a small, but successful hatch, and they did well. I super concerned about them for the time of year that they hatched, but they did fine, and was laying by next spring. My biggest thing I was keeping an eye on was their feathering. I wanted to be sure they were feathered in time. Because she only hatched out 4 chicks, it wasn't hard for her to keep them all warm. So I suggest not getting a ton of chicks, but a small amount so she can sit on them longer. ;)
Best of luck!

I thought that they naturally kick out the chicks at like 6-8 weeks old because they no longer need their mother?
It depends on your mother hen. Some might, I think my Maisy has, but she'll still look after them to a point. I had a hen who I took her chicks away that was older than that, and she cried and cried over those chicks for months, and was never the same after that.

Back
Top Bottom