Can I use a Guinea Pig Waterer for my Ducklings?

roryanddean

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2015
Illinois
My ducklings, who are still in an indoor cage, have been drinking out of a bowl. The problem with this is that they like to swim in the bowl and poop in it, splashing the waterer everywhere, constantly needing me to change the water and clean the cage a few times a day. Recently, I've bought a waterer that they use for guinea pigs and put it in the cage. I removed all other waterer, and hung the waterer just above head level, and hopefully out of interest mess with it and figure it out. Are they capable of drinking out of this type of waterer?

My ducklings, who are still in an indoor cage, have been drinking out of a bowl. The problem with this is that they like to swim in the bowl and poop in it, splashing the waterer everywhere, constantly needing me to change the water and clean the cage a few times a day. Recently, I've bought a waterer that they use for guinea pigs and put it in the cage. I removed all other waterer, and hung the waterer just above head level, and hopefully out of interest mess with it and figure it out. Are they capable of drinking out of this type of waterer?
They most likley are but water fowl need to be able to wash their heads alot to keep thier nares clean and eyes clean so even though they are making a mess they need something deep enough to dunk their heads. I'll get you a pic of an easy home made one.
This thread shows a pic of an easy homemade water they can use and can't climb into

Welcome to BYC
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom