Can I use a (plastic safe) bird bath heater in plastic waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kathyinmo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

2. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I think this product is designed to be placed in the water. not on the bottom of a plastic waterer. So I don't think it would work for most chicken applications.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I think this product is designed to be placed in the water

Yes, I understand that. My question is: Can I use one inside my plastic chicken waterer?​

4. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Well not 100% positive. But it does say it is ok for plastic birdbaths. I also saw a larger wattage one in that add. If it gets in the teens and lower where you live you may want the larger one.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can I use one inside my plastic chicken waterer?

If your waterer is open, it may work
    If it's one of the "fountain" types, it has to be airtight, which could be a problem​

6. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    You can buy an electric water container for chickens for that price.

7. GingerTreacle

GingerTreacle New Egg

May 16, 2014
    New England
    I too would like a bird bath warmer, to go in my 3 gallon plastic bucket. It would need to not sink as the bucket has nipples at the bottom. I love this waterer and don't want to go back to open ones for the winter, particularly after reading that closed ones help keep down the moisture content in the coop.
    Can anyone advise me on which model to buy for this purpose please and what wattage I should be considering in zone 4, where we have got down as low as -25'F some winters. :/Thank you, (new to all this!).

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. GingerTreacle

GingerTreacle New Egg

May 16, 2014
    New England
    Thank you. I have a few questions about using these open bowls :
    1. Can they be tipped over, as one of my ladies likes to do that to bowls immediately and daily?!
    2. How do you keep them clean? I changed to the nipple waterer because they got their water so dirty within minutes (and I only have four pullets!)
    3. Can chickens drown in deep water?! (I tend to treat them like toddlers in terms of chopped up food and safety issues!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by