Can I use Adams Flea & Tick on a chicken to help with lice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jul 31, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    I have a quarentined chicken recovering from being picked on. She has healed good, but I noticed today she has lice. I have some DE ordered but I thought I read that someone used Adams flea & tick on theirs. Just wanted to give her some relief right away.

Can I use the Adams on her?

2. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    I've read on the forum that some people do use that and they say it works. I was going to try it myself if the Sevin Dust doesn't work.

3. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I used it with very good success for a terrible mite infestation. It smells great. New Puppy Smell.

I dilute about a teaspoon of it in a dishpan of very warm water, it makes lots of suds. I soak the whole chicken in it for several minutes, just keeping their airway clear, using a soft "complexion" brush to clean the face and the naked parts like the feet and breast. I use a cup to keep pouring it over. You can see all the dead little bugs falling off and back into the water.

Then I rinse a long while with a hand held shower and blow dry the chicken before letting back out, so I can dust the dry feathers with "Garden and Poultry Dust".

Lots of poison, I know. But lately I realize that death is a requirement of life. Its the suffering we can fix, but none of us will live forever. So, I choose to avoid suffering from bug bites.

Certainly, people will have better, less poisonous solutions, so I'll be watching your thread for more! But the Adams dog shampoo worked very well here. Our chickens seem to enjoy a bath and blow dry.

4. Galli_Nut

Galli_Nut Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    S. C. Indiana
    We've used it and it worked well, none of the chickens had a bad reaction either (we used it for stick fleas down in florida...darn nasty critters) Sevin cured everything else! For the sticktite fleas we would cotton swab/qtip it around their face and bam, no more fleas! Now we make dust baths that include sevin mixed in so they dose themselves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by