Can I use aviary netting on top of the run?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Can I use aviary netting on the top of the run? The run is going to be around 50' x 50' and it is soooo costly to use hardware cloth. The fence will be 6 foot tall welded wire (2x4), with hardware cloth on the bottom 2 ft, and 1 foot underground (or ON the ground). Since I plan to lock them up at night, in a secure coop, can I use aviary netting on the top? The main purpose is to keep the chicken hawks from swooping down during the day. Thanks, Kathy

That is EXACTLY what I did! and Then I got a "solar fence unit" Go and get one.
wee.gif
They are easy to set up too. it is a battery powered electric fence. I sleep good at night knowing nothing will break into the coop.
celebrate.gif
We have coons, possums, bobcats, mountian lions....
How do I know nothing will get the chickens? Both of my dogs where playing around the chicken area when I flipped the "power switch" Yikes!
hide.gif
They both jumped and yelped when they touched the wire. I was sorry that they got shocked/zapped.
ep.gif
(you can't tell a dog to be careful!)

I KNOW that my coop/run is safe.
woot.gif
On the top I do have the netting and its a lot easier to work with. I just "twist tie" with wire together with the chicken wire on the sides. Good luck!

Quote:

Covering a 50x50 area with netting is going to be very expensive as well. Also supporting it presents another problem. My son lives in SW Missouri as well and due to the number of commercial poultry operations around him, hundreds of raptors frequent the area. He allows his birds to free range and in seven years he has never lost a bird to hawks or eagles and he sees both regularily.

That's what we used, too. But I zip tied them to the fence on the sides and together on the top. It didn't fit acrossed. Only problem so far is when it rains. If you don't hit the side of the coop B4 going in and you mistakenly hit it while in there, your wet!
woot.gif

Melinda

We put chicken wire on the top of the run which also houses the coop.
but I would feel it safer .to cover the chicken wire with hardware cloth.
so thats another project for next free week end.

Back
Top Bottom