Can I Use Baby Oil To Make My Silkies Shiny?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mwing14, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Mwing14

Mwing14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Arizona.
    Im entering 3 of my chickens in there very first show and today they are getting baths. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can use baby oil to make their feathers shiny but icant find the website so now I can't be sure.if anyone can tell me if its okay that'd be great. Thank you!

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    No it will pick up dust and make it worst, when showing they like to see their fluff not weighted down feathers. For white or silver chickies, use bluing shampoo, it will be very white and shiny!

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Don't do it. Silkies should be fluffy, not sleek. Wash them a few days ahead of the show so their natural oils can replenish from the skin out. If you add oil on the surface, the feathers will clump and attract dirt. Maybe Silkie breeders use some kind of conditioner, but I don't think oil is a good idea. Good luck at your show!

4. swimmerchick

swimmerchick Out Of The Brooder

I've heard its been done with feathers birds, but i wouldn't use it on a silkie. You could use it on the comb and wattle to make them shiny and new looking though. Good luck at the show!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by