Can I Use Cartons to Turn Eggs in Still Air Bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicksgalore, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I have a LG still air and have always turned eggs by hand 3 times a day. This is very time consuming and also lets the lid open for a while till I'm done. I've read where some folks keep their eggs in cartons and just tilt it from side to side and wondering if this would work in a still air? I could do a lot more eggs at a time this way. I would remove them then on the 18th day.

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I would not do it in still bator, if you tilt it, hot air is going to raise up in tilted part, making the temperature distribution even more uneven.

However if you you have surplus eggs and are willing to experiment a little, then you may try, who knows, hatching is as scientific as it is mysterious.

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I just tried it with my 1st hatch ever in a still-air Hovabator. I cut the most off of the top & bottom of styrofoam egg cartons that would still hold the eggs securely and used a paint stirring stick in the middle with some pieces of wood taped on as legs (looked like a letter "I") tilted each way 3 x's a day. Hatched out 52%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by