Can I use Diatomaceous Earth in my coop w/ baby chicks?

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't typically use DE, but I did buy some awhile back. Well, out of nowhere, there are like 10 million gnats or flies in the coop, on the coop, just all over. If I sprinkle it on the coop floor will it harm the baby chicks at all? Or any other words of advice to get rid of them?

Thank you!

Make sure it is DE for human consumption not the kind for pools. I actually use it in my brooder under the shavings to keep it clean and dry. You are fine to use it. Its gnat season here too. I was working outside today and they were annoying the heck out of me too. You can try some fly paper, that actually does work for me sometimes.

Ooh, good call on the fly paper. I might even have some of that on hand. They are so bad! I'm glad I can use the DE. Thank you!

The diatomaceous earth will not harm your chicks at all...in fact we feed it to ours! It is natural and nontoxic so you don't have to worry about yourself or your animals. I did a lot of research before I started feeding it to my animals and I found a lot of information regarding food grade diatomaceous earth, how to use it and even the differences between the food grade and pool grade on this blog: http://absorbentproductsltd.wordpress.com/ The company that writes it also sells DE and I know that they do a lot of research on diatomaceous earth so I am sure the information is the most up to date!

Back
Top Bottom