Can I use Diatomaceous Earth in my coop w/ baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hd_darcy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I don't typically use DE, but I did buy some awhile back. Well, out of nowhere, there are like 10 million gnats or flies in the coop, on the coop, just all over. If I sprinkle it on the coop floor will it harm the baby chicks at all? Or any other words of advice to get rid of them?

Thank you!

2. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Make sure it is DE for human consumption not the kind for pools. I actually use it in my brooder under the shavings to keep it clean and dry. You are fine to use it. Its gnat season here too. I was working outside today and they were annoying the heck out of me too. You can try some fly paper, that actually does work for me sometimes.

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Ooh, good call on the fly paper. I might even have some of that on hand. They are so bad! I'm glad I can use the DE. Thank you!

4. melissahj

melissahj Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    The diatomaceous earth will not harm your chicks at all...in fact we feed it to ours! It is natural and nontoxic so you don't have to worry about yourself or your animals. I did a lot of research before I started feeding it to my animals and I found a lot of information regarding food grade diatomaceous earth, how to use it and even the differences between the food grade and pool grade on this blog: http://absorbentproductsltd.wordpress.com/ The company that writes it also sells DE and I know that they do a lot of research on diatomaceous earth so I am sure the information is the most up to date!

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I used it and the chicks were fine. I use food grade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by