Can I use egg cartons? *turning question*

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
THis is my third time incubating but this time I don't have an auto egg turner. I have 15 eggs in an LG styrofoam bator witha fan.

I am super annoyed by the fact that when I turn the eggs, they frequently roll to what might be the same spot. I am worried they will end up spending too much time on certain sides.

Could I use an egg carton to hold the eggs (pointy end down) and rotate it in the cartons ? Or would I be better off just rolling them on the mesh and hope fo the best?

I just finished my first hatch and starting a second.

THe first time I had rilled in an LG. I kept he eggs crowded together, and that prevented the rolling that you are experiencing. It happened to me too when I was down to the last few eggs and new chicks moved to a brooder. It is frustrtiong to roll the eggs and the roll back to the sam position.

THis time the eggs are in cartons and I rock the cooler like a teeter-totter. Much easier! Have read of many who have done this successfully. THe angle of the eggs seems to mimic a turner.

Good luck.

If you don't have an auto turner, you can make a turner out of an egg carton. Cut the top off of the carton, punch a hole in the bottom of each cup to allow the cup to drain in case water gets in, and place the eggs pointy end down in the egg cups. Place something under one side of the egg carton so it will tilt to one side. At least once during the day, move the wedge so the egg carton will tilt towards the opposite direction. Sort of like a See-Saw.

OR.... if you don't want to open the incubator, put something under the bottom of the incubator itself to provide the tilt. A book, the tube out of a roll of wrapping paper, or a stack of old magazines will work.

Now, if you decide not to do the egg carton approach (which most of the time results in a higher hatch rate), you can lay them down flat in the bottom of the incubator. Place an "X" and an "O" on opposite sides of the egg and hand turn them at least twice a day, with 3-4 times being ideal.

You could ask Santa for an egg turner. He brought me one last year.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
hehehehe. Well my Santa has made me cross my heart/ pinky promise etc. etc. not to do any more hatching for a looonnnnggg time. Or else I will be on the naughty list.

Quote:
hehehehe. Well my Santa has made me cross my heart/ pinky promise etc. etc. not to do any more hatching for a looonnnnggg time. Or else I will be on the naughty list.

Santa understands the need to hatch. I think he secretly likes it too LOL

Quote:

Santa understands the need to hatch. I think he secretly likes it too LOL

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom