Can I use Liquid Seven Dust? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so here lately my chickens have gotten mites. It is nasty!! There is one hen I am really worried about she has alot more than the others.

I wanted to ask though. I have liquid Seven dust but my friend told me not to use it that you have to use the powder. She knows what she is talking about but I just wanted to make sure and also if I cant use it then what is different about the powder??

I dont want to put my chickens in any harm but I need to get rid of these mites. I am cleaning the coop and washing them.

If I can use the liquid how much water do I use with it? And do I just dip them like I do dogs when they get flea dipped?

Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,

I have just gotten this problem also, except with LICE too! [​IMG] It is horribly disgusting!

I am not going to use Sevin dust or liquid, I hear it extremely toxic both to our skin, and the birds. I was trying organic for awhile... it is a waste of time. The crawlies become immune to it. So..... I am going to try a Permethrin poultry dust (supposed to be really good), and I'm going to give ALL my girls a bath and a permethrin dip, along with cleaning my coop, powdering it with lice dust, and DE. Hopefully that will get rid of these little varmits once and for all. I am doing this whole process tomorrow.

I'll let ya know how it goes!

Good luck!

-Peaches

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Please do. I so wish I wouldve seen this yesterday. I bathed all my chickens in it and cleaned the coop excessively. It did kill the mites and the chickens act more lively. So hopefully it helped! [​IMG]

4. Peachesbabychick

Definitely. I hoped it helped your girls, I'm sure it did. Do you know how often to repeat the treatment? I am a newbie. :) Maybe every week for 2 or 3 weeks???

Best of luck to you and your girls,

-Peaches

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Every ten days. [​IMG] I know its work but you have to do it every 10 days to kill the eggs that hatch. [​IMG]

6. Peachesbabychick

Ugh! Just thinking about lice eggs makes my want to gag! I want to get RID of these little varmits!

7. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG]

Hey Peaches! Glad to have you join the flock. Sorry to hear you have mites and lice in your flock. Read the label on a bottle of Sevin dust and a bottle of Poultry dust. You will find they are much the same. I have used the powder on chickens and dogs for years and have never had a toxic reaction. The powdering of the birds and changing out the shavings or sand or DE or whatever you use in your nesting boxes and on your coop floor, must be repeated in 10 days or the eggs left behind will hatch and you will be right back where you started! Best of Luck! Catch ya later!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by