can i use permectrin 2 on a week old chick.

AceSierra

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
my 2 yr old austrolorp and 1 week old silkie baby have feather mites. :( I went to the vet becauee the baby was shaking his head alot and he said he had fether mites and so does my austrolorp and her feathers are looking gross and tattered. I went to the animal store and asked what I could use and they gave me some permectrin 2 for use on poultry. I mixed some up and sprayed my 2 yr old ace and now shes drying off under a heat lamp and I was just wondering is it safe to use topically or on chicks.

I wouldn't use it unless I knew the birds were infested. You said the vet confirmed it, right? I don't know what's in the parrot spray, so check the ingredients. What's the concern with the product you have already vs parrot spray?

I wouldn't use it unless I knew the birds were infested. You said the vet confirmed it, right? I don't know what's in the parrot spray, so check the ingredients. What's the concern with the product you have already vs parrot spray?
I'm concerned it would be too strong for the little chick and kill her vs the parrot spray is used for small birds like budgies all the way up to cockatoos and they have different ingredients.

and yes the looked and said it was feather mites

I'm concerned it would be too strong for the little chick and kill her vs the parrot spray is used for small birds like budgies all the way up to cockatoos and they have different ingredients.

I'd ask the vet. I feel pretty confident using permethrin but am unfamiliar with the ingredients in that parrot spray.

Back
Top Bottom