Can I use sand as grit?

polishchickens111

Songster
8 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Over there
We are preparing to transfer out 6-week old chickens to their coop. The attached run will be filled with sand. Is this suitable grit? Finding grit has become an issue because I recently discovered that my feed store's grit includes oyster shell (you might have told me that before I feed it to young chicks, Agway!!
roll.png
) Luckily, I didn't give them much. Since then, I have been digging up a pan of dirt (my dirt is full of pebbles) but this is too much trouble to do every morning, especially getting up at 6:00. Is the multi-purpose sand OK grit, or do I have to find another solution?

I would not recommend sand, it would not do the job and literally just in one end and out the other. Are you having a hard time finding grit? I know you can order it online at jefferspet.com

We use sand in the run also, and that is all the girls get, never had a problem with it, they eat plenty of it. Not sure why it would'nt be good, but my girls seem to be just fine with eating the sand.

I'm interested in knowing, too - my 7 week olds have a small sandbox for dust bathing that they peck at, but I haven't purchased any grit. They're in a moveable coop, so are on grass/weeds and not bare dirt. Do I need to be buying the packaged grit for them?

The chickens that we have now and the chickens that we had in years past didn't get any grit once they got outside and were able to peck around at the ground. (free range or run) We only gave grit to our newest when they were still inside the house. Never had any issues.

Once your babies hit 8 weeks they can eat LAYER GRIT (granite). If there between 3-8 weeks you can feed them Grower grit. If your in an area you can find small eraser sized rocks they will eat that when they need it. Sand is like starter grit where its really fine and it is useless after there 2 weeks old. Only someone who didn't know squawt about chickens would recommend oyster shells. That agway should be ashamed of themselves. Agways in Ma at least know what there doing
tongue.png

You CAN use Builders or All Purpose Sand it is much courser than Play Sand and works just as well as Poultry Grit.

There are two types of Grit Insoluble Grit (stone and or crushed stone) and Soluble Grit Oyster, Cockle shells and or limestone)
Grit that is too small will simply pass straight through the bird and will not help the bird at all so it is worth checking that the grit you are buying is for the correct age of bird. Grit is usually classed as chick, grower, layer and turkey. It is better to feed a grit that is slightly too big than too small. Soluble Grit will do little help is digestion/ grinding there food.

Birds that free range will usually pick up enough grit from the ground however there is no harm in providing additional grit for birds to take if they need it.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom