Should I be worried?

PanosGR

Songster
Oct 15, 2023
Athens, Greece.
Hello there, my nearly 6 months old hen is always filling her crop with soluble grit ( mix of tiny stones and oyster shell), every afternoon so she can lay next morning. Her main food is still grower feed so she can grow up faster. Will too much of this grit harm her? Will she get a calcium overdose or gizzard blockages? As I said every afternoon she fills her crop with it. Is that normal? Should I stop her from accessing it every day? I need your opinion.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello there, my nearly 6 months old hen is always filling her crop with soluble grit ( mix of tiny stones and oyster shell), every afternoon so she can lay next morning. Her main food is still grower feed so she can grow up faster. Will too much of this grit harm her? Will she get a calcium overdose or gizzard blockages? As I said every afternoon she fills her crop with it. Is that normal? Should I stop her from accessing it every day? I need your opinion.

Thank you.
Usually I trust chickens are eating enough for their bodies, but!! if you have a gut feeling she may be eating too much for her body then maybe try portioning out the oyster shells. I also give my chickens oyster shells but they only eat very very little I really only do one tablespoon each bowl which they never even finish. Monitor her eggs if you change the amount of oyster shells you give. Just to make sure none of her eggs are showing any sign of calcium deficiency!

Maybe the growers pellets doesn't have enough calcium so that's why she's eating a lot if grit, now that she's laying you should start feeding her layers feed :)
Oh yes you are absolutely correct! I didn’t notice the grower feed. Try to check the percentage of calcium in your feed! Mine is at 16% that seems to work for my chickens who lay everyday

Oh yes you are absolutely correct! I didn’t notice the grower feed. Try to check the percentage of calcium in your feed! Mine is at 16% that seems to work for my chickens who lay everyday
That means 16% protein, which is too low protein imo, but it should be about 3% calcium.
What grit are you giving them? I've never seen one with oyster shell mixed in.
I'd stop giving them grit for now, they don't need it too often

Let's first figure out what it is that you're calling grit. I know that there are differences in terminology between different English-speaking countries (like the US and UK), and as for other countries like Greece, I have no idea - I guess it depends on where you imported the word from? So, what is it that you call "grit" in Greece? In the US, there is no such thing as "soluble grit". "Grit" is insoluble rock, usually granite, which is used in the chicken's gizzard to grind up their food. Oyster shell is completely different - it's soluble, digestible, and used by the chicken's body for the calcium, to make shells for the eggs she lays. Chickens are very good at self-regulating how much rock and calcium they consume, BUT, they need to be able to tell it apart! If you mix the rocks and the shells together, and they are ground to similar size particles and get mixed up, the chicken may think she's eating calcium for her eggs, but end up eating way too much rock in the process. This is extremely dangerous and can get her clogged up and even kill her. I've read posts by veterinarians who say that they've opened up the crops of chickens who ate too much rock and their crop looked like the bottom of a fish tank! So make sure that what you're feeding your chickens isn't a mix - they need to have their rock (whatever you call that over there) and their calcium in separate containers, and the actual feed in a third container.

Let's first figure out what it is that you're calling grit. I know that there are differences in terminology between different English-speaking countries (like the US and UK), and as for other countries like Greece, I have no idea - I guess it depends on where you imported the word from? So, what is it that you call "grit" in Greece? In the US, there is no such thing as "soluble grit". "Grit" is insoluble rock, usually granite, which is used in the chicken's gizzard to grind up their food. Oyster shell is completely different - it's soluble, digestible, and used by the chicken's body for the calcium, to make shells for the eggs she lays. Chickens are very good at self-regulating how much rock and calcium they consume, BUT, they need to be able to tell it apart! If you mix the rocks and the shells together, and they are ground to similar size particles and get mixed up, the chicken may think she's eating calcium for her eggs, but end up eating way too much rock in the process. This is extremely dangerous and can get her clogged up and even kill her. I've read posts by veterinarians who say that they've opened up the crops of chickens who ate too much rock and their crop looked like the bottom of a fish tank! So make sure that what you're feeding your chickens isn't a mix - they need to have their rock (whatever you call that over there) and their calcium in separate containers, and the actual feed in a third container.
Thank you for your reply. I actually bought it as grit from a pet shop but I have noticed it contains pieces of broken oyster shell or whatever else.
I can show you a picture of the product so you can have a look and tell me if it is just rocks, mix, or oyster shell and other calcium rich materials. I have one question though. Does grit leave the digestive system or stay in the gizzard forever?
I did not let her eat her grit yesterday and today but I am not sure if it's the right for her as she has started making a mess with the pot soil and she acts like she looks for something.

Waiting for your next reply, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom