Can i use sand outside for my button quail?

Chickadee-23

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
South Carolina
I live in a sandy area i mean my whole yard is sand & grass u dig down in the sand it turns orange, it be temperaily use their out of the sand i use normaly, my chickens dust in this sand with no problems, but idk if its safe for button quail, BTW they stay in the house, Thanks :)

I am pretty sure that the orange you are referring is clay and silica. Not sure, but her in South Florida I dig down and it's pure white sand. I will hit patches of orange, but only around larger mineral deposits. ( I've done a lot of digging to bury tree stumps). Try it once or twice, if your curious, if not... they don't need a sand bath. They just like to do this.

I live in a sandy area i mean my whole yard is sand & grass u dig down in the sand it turns orange, it be temperaily use their out of the sand i use normaly, my chickens dust in this sand with no problems, but idk if its safe for button quail, BTW they stay in the house, Thanks
smile.png
It should be fine as long as no other poultry have been raised over that same soil recently. The suns UV rays are the best disinfectant we know of, and there is nothing (except certain bugs that could promote gape worms) that they shouldn't be consuming in the soil. Keep in mind that button quail don't do well below 40 degrees and above 90 degrees. Most of the places we have sand like you describe are beyond these temps during the day/night.

Back
Top Bottom