Can I use the deep litter method with Southeast Texas humidity?

yes you can use the deep litter method in your henhouse.your hens will mix the manure with your litter.an keep it stirred an mixed.but remember its a pain in the backside when you clean the henhouse out.i just cleaned mine out 2wks ago an hauled out over 20 wheel barrow loads of litter an spread it.

Quote:
hehe
smile.png

i live in spring also and use the dlm. it has always worked fine except for a time or two when it rained for days.

I'm wondering if I can use this method for ducks. We have to put our ducks in a pen at night to protect them from predators that have killed some prior to doing so. Ducks are so messy and the pen floor is covered in duck poop every morning despite cleaning it out everyday. One week ago I slipped in duck poop and broke my ankle and am possibly going to have to have surgery.

I recently started using DLM. Reason for it was I have a dirt floor in my run and live in hot dry arid climate, almost never rains here. Well everything was fine and dandy till I installed misters to keep my girls cooled down in our 100 plus degree days here. Ammonia factory bout knock ya over! I dug up the compacted spots then started with chopped straw I had sitting around, not being used. Have since added some fine pine shavings and next will be course pine shavings from TSC. I don't have any organic stuff to add this time of year so I buy it. I can deal with 6 bucks a bag and the run doesn't stink anymore and the girls love to play like little excavators.

Back
Top Bottom