Can I use Wire for floor?

eric23

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
My babies are now 2 1/2 weeks old. Is it OK that I put them on 1/2" square welded wire??

i wouldn't wire can be hard on the feet... toes get stuck ... legs get twisted

I use wire, but cover it with mulch. I also lay plywood over it on cold days to help insulate.

For my big chickens, I lay hay over it too. I keep my hay clean and dry so I don't have to worry about mold when using it.

I brooded my chicks last year on a GQF brooder with 1/2" wire flooring. They did great. No leg problems and most of the poop fell thru to the bottom tray, lined with newspaper. Easy to clean. I'm putting this year's batch in there, as well.

I have used in my outside brooders for yeard and there has never been a problem. No leg problems at all. VERY easy to clean. The poop falls right through.

I raise all my chicks on wire from a day old up until they are big enough to be moved into the coop. Once I move them out of the incubator they go into one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/small-...ware-manufacturing-large-rabbit-hutch-2179342 I got 2 when they were on sale. They were great for the chicks. Once about 4-5 weeks old they get moved into one of these
7443_dsc01842.jpg
7443_dsc01843.jpg
All of my wire brooders like that have 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom. They stay outside up about 3 inches off the ground.

Absolutely no issues. Poop either falls through or I hose it down. Very easy to keep it clean. Mind you I live in the tropics so cold is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom