Can I use Wire for floor?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eric23, Mar 6, 2011.

1. eric23

eric23 New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    My babies are now 2 1/2 weeks old. Is it OK that I put them on 1/2" square welded wire??

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i wouldn't wire can be hard on the feet... toes get stuck ... legs get twisted

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    and poop builds up on it...

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I use wire, but cover it with mulch. I also lay plywood over it on cold days to help insulate.

For my big chickens, I lay hay over it too. I keep my hay clean and dry so I don't have to worry about mold when using it.

5. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I brooded my chicks last year on a GQF brooder with 1/2" wire flooring. They did great. No leg problems and most of the poop fell thru to the bottom tray, lined with newspaper. Easy to clean. I'm putting this year's batch in there, as well.

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Wire is fine, very sanitary, leg problems usually not an issue. Chickens spend half their life on a stick.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:No problem there either!

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have used in my outside brooders for yeard and there has never been a problem. No leg problems at all. VERY easy to clean. The poop falls right through.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I raise all my chicks on wire from a day old up until they are big enough to be moved into the coop. Once I move them out of the incubator they go into one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/small-...ware-manufacturing-large-rabbit-hutch-2179342 I got 2 when they were on sale. They were great for the chicks. Once about 4-5 weeks old they get moved into one of these [​IMG] [​IMG] All of my wire brooders like that have 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom. They stay outside up about 3 inches off the ground.

10. Bahachick

Bahachick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    Nassau
    Absolutely no issues. Poop either falls through or I hose it down. Very easy to keep it clean. Mind you I live in the tropics so cold is not an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by