Can I use wood pellets for bedding?

Bantam Babes

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Illinois
I wondered if anyone has used this for chicks. We had our first batch of chicks inside with pine shavings and it got SO dusty so I tried the pellets and they worked fine for the chicks that were 4 + wks. And the pellets really cut down on the dust. However when the pellets get wet, they turn to almost powder. ( It looks a lot like the chick feed actually) We got a 2nd batch of week old chicks. I don't want the house to be dusty but I also don't want the chicks to eat it and it cause problems. Any thoughts?

I use the pellets and even when the pellets decompress back into sawdust (they are compressed pine sawdust) I don't have a problem with them being eaten.

I used pine pellets with my first set of chicks as soon as they came out of the incubator w/ no issues.
smile.png

I use pellets as well. It works for me as I have up to 4 brooders @ once and the dust is a little less, I find it cleaner for the waterers' and never worry about the chicks eating it.

Where do you get them and about how much do they cost? We are fighting a losing battle keeping shavings out of their water & food.

Just wanted to say that the woody pet pellets work the best, and have less dust. I have used them for 5 years. I now cant find the woody pet, but I'm using the equine pine ones from TSC. Woody pet has a web site. I need to find somewhere that sells it.Cost about 6$.

I use the animal bedding pellets in my brooder and have them out on the coop floor, too. None of the babies has showed any want to eat them when they get wet and turn to sawdust. They just wait for them to dry and dustbathe in them. I have to set the waterer up on blocks because they dig and fling pellets into the water if it's down which makes a nasty mess.

I use Nature's Bedding Pellets for my horses and chickens. They're made of compressed pine and break down into fine sawdust over time. You can quicken the process by moistening the pellets. The pellets make it SO much easier to keep things clean as they absorb the moisture in the poo and cause it to clump, making a much healthier environment for the chickens, too. My chickens also much prefer taking dust baths in broken down pellet bedding over sand or dirt.

Nature's Bedding Pellets are the best value that I've found here in the Pacific NW. The cost per bag is considerably reduced when you buy by the pallet load as opposed to per bag. We occasionally find that local dealers run out during the winter months but they almost always have Nature's Fuel (pellets for pellet stoves), which is exactly the same product in different packaging.

I also use wood pellets, aka horse bedding, 50# bag is $5 here. Works great. Cuts down on odor, the chicks seem to like to dig through it, I rarely have to change it out.

Back
Top Bottom