1. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Baking soda on the dirt in the run? I rake every other day but since it's getting hotter its stinky. I'm getting ready to put sand down but need to neutralize that smell i believe. Thanks in advance

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'm not really sure what it would do. You need to get some lime or DE and put that down before you put the sand!!

3. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    This might sound like a stupid thought process but here it goes. If I ingest baking soda, it causes a release of gas and I burp. Not sure if it would do that to chickens. Do chickens have the ability to burp or release gas from their digestive track?[​IMG]

4. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    I dont like lyme nor do i even know what DE is, i looked it up but there is no information on where to buy it retail locally. I'm going to shovel sand in about 10 minutes. BEFORE it rains again and makes yet another mucky muddy mess.

5. Heathero617

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:I have no idea, that is why I asked...i found a thread on here about using it for ducks and seems losts do...just not sure about chickens. I was under the assumption >there i go again< if i put it down then put sand down, before they could get to it in quantity it would be absorbed in the soil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by