Can I wash a newborn chick?

Kayla's Lunch

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 9, 2018
Maryland
I ordered 10 chicks that came today. They hatched on Wednesday. One of the chicks fell into the fermented feed I had in with them and keeps scratching at herself where the feed is on her. She seems to have given herself a scratch. The other chicks seem to be pecking at her too much. Can I give her a little bath to clean her up? Should I isolate her afterwards to make sure she isn't getting pecked? Thanks!

Sometimes, washing is a necessity, and keeping the from getting chilled after is key. I've had two sticky chick which have needed multiple baths to clean up.

A blow dryer on low helps too, as long as you're mindful to keep it moving. They're pretty miserable after a bath, but they can't complain when they're finally able to fluff up properly and don't have to worry about a pasty butt.

She is doing well. I used a warm wet rag and then used a blow dryer on her because I really didn't want her to get chilled. They had just gone through their 2 day mail adventure and didn't need any extra challenges. They are all so cute!

Back
Top Bottom