Can I worm the whole family ?

gsdobed

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 29, 2016
I have a peacock and hen and the 5 pea chicks will be 1 month Friday. They are not friendly but kept in a pen. How do I worm them and with what. ( real clear, I am new) also is there something that they should be dusting in? Reading so much I am getting confused. Thanks in advance

I have a peacock and hen and the 5 pea chicks will be 1 month Friday. They are not friendly but kept in a pen. How do I worm them and with what. ( real clear, I am new) also is there something that they should be dusting in? Reading so much I am getting confused. Thanks in advance

10 % fendebendazole, Safeguard, 1 cc per 4 lbs. Directly in the mouth or in or on a treat they will devour instantly. DO NOT PUT IN WATER! A healthy adult peacock weighs about 10-12 lbs, so he would get 3 cc. A healthy adult peahen weighs between 8-10 lbs, 2.5 cc. Safeguard has a very low toxicity, so don't worry too much on overdosing. Worry more about under dosing. You worm for 5 days, skip 10 days, and then after the 10 days of not worming, worm again for 5 days. Peachicks I don't have their weights memorized and I don't know if there's an age limit with Safeguard. I usually worm when the ground freezes and when the ground thaws. So twice a year during the spring and fall.

If you prefer organic, all natural worming methods, you can use garlic or onions. Peafowl usually know how much they need and don't usually harm themselves with it. Just offer it to them. When they stop eating it or don't eat it, take it out of the pen. Offer it again in 10 days to 2 weeks. You can just put a clove of garlic in if you want to. If they keep eating it keep offering. Monitor their behavior when eating the garlic or onions.

You're killing me with the "natural" thing, lol. Where are the studies that prove it works? And find me a vet that says it's okay to use onions and/or garlic since both can be toxic.

I do think your advice regarding the Safeguard for the adult is spot on. The month old chicks can be wormed, but they probably don't need a five day treatment until later... Just one day, then ten days later should suffice.

Dose for adults or chicks is 0.23 ml per pound orally.

-Kathy

You're killing me with the "natural" thing, lol. Where are the studies that prove it works? And find me a vet that says it's okay to use onions and/or garlic since both can be toxic.

I do think your advice regarding the Safeguard for the adult is spot on. The month old chicks can be wormed, but they probably don't need a five day treatment until later... Just one day, then ten days later should suffice.

-Kathy

I don't use natural wormer either. In my opinion shouldn't even bother with the natural wormers. I only keep the knowledge in case I run into organic or natural farmers I can give them advice on it. I know a few organic farmers that I trust and they use garlic, onions, pumpkin seeds, and oregano for common illnesses in their poultry. Birds usually know how much of something they need. If they don't need it or want it they usually don't touch it.

-Kathy

I don't use natural wormer either. In my opinion shouldn't even bother with the natural wormers. I only keep the knowledge in case I run into organic or natural farmers I can give them advice on it. I know a few organic farmers that I trust and they use garlic, onions, pumpkin seeds, and oregano for common illnesses in their poultry. Birds usually know how much of something they need. If they don't need it or want it they usually don't touch it.

These farmers you know might use it, but why? I bet it's just because they read it somewhere. Show me the studies that show any of those ingredients work and I'll listen, but until then, it's just misinformation, and don't forget that garlic and onions can be toxic!

-Kathy

These farmers you know might use it, but why? I bet it's just because they read it somewhere. Show me the studies that show any of those ingredients work and I'll listen, but until then, it's just misinformation, and don't forget that garlic and onions can be toxic!

-Kathy

Organic farmers view commercial, modern medicine such as fendbendazole, amprolium, Corid, albendazole, "toxic" chemicals that don't belong in the animal's body, and that animals have survived in the past without the need of "harsh" chemicals. That's basically what I hear from organic farmers. I've had a few ask why I use "harsh" or "toxic" chemicals on my animals. I tell them the wormers I use have low toxicity in them so they're not "toxic" or "harsh" chemicals. I've gotten into conversations with people about organic vs. commercial. I just keep it civil the best I can, even if I have to bite my tongue. I have to get used to it if I'm going to be a vet.

Back
Top Bottom