Can I?

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
Hey guys just wondering can I use dog shampoo for washing chickens prior to showing them?
im looking for inexpensive washes/shampoos....
was also wondering if I could things like body wash, or human shampoos...
thanks.

From my experience, every breeder seems to use something different. Generally my birds didn't need washed (free range + dust bath + shows I go to are during dryer months) but the one time I did I used some dawn soap on my silkies legs and made sure she was 100% dry before moving her back outside

From my experience, every breeder seems to use something different. Generally my birds didn't need washed (free range + dust bath + shows I go to are during dryer months) but the one time I did I used some dawn soap on my silkies legs and made sure she was 100% dry before moving her back outside
Thanks I haven’t been able to find it... I live in Australia and I don’t think we stock it here anymore...

Hmmm, well I’ve never shown birds, so I don’t know if there is something special you need. Though when ever I wash my birds I always use dawn dish soap. I don’t know if you have it over there or what the Australian equivalent would be.
Ok thanks.... I’ve just read I can use dog shampoo on google or I can get horse shampoo which is gentle on the skin...

Edit: I’ve also found a place called Murray mcmurry on the net who sell chicken suds and chicken conditioner...

I’ve currently got some purina flea shampoo I could try....
That probably has some ingredient intended for killing fleas on dogs-- so unless your chickens have fleas, I wouldn't use it. (If you do want to use it, look at the bottle to see what the active ingredient is, then check whether that is safe for chickens.)

Yes, you can do dog shampoo. I suppose some brands are better than others for chickens. Which do you use?
I was going to get one from a discount store called “our dog” I’ve already got the conditioner for it but the shampoo leaves a nice lavender scent.... other wise I’ve currently got some purina flea shampoo I could try....

I was going to get one from a discount store called “our dog” I’ve already got the conditioner for it but the shampoo leaves a nice lavender scent.... other wise I’ve currently got some purina flea shampoo I could try....
Either could work, but I don’t have experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom