Can I?

Poultry mum

Crowing
Jan 22, 2021
Australia
Hey guys just wondering can I use dog shampoo for washing chickens prior to showing them?
im looking for inexpensive washes/shampoos....
was also wondering if I could things like body wash, or human shampoos...
thanks.

From my experience, every breeder seems to use something different. Generally my birds didn't need washed (free range + dust bath + shows I go to are during dryer months) but the one time I did I used some dawn soap on my silkies legs and made sure she was 100% dry before moving her back outside

From my experience, every breeder seems to use something different. Generally my birds didn't need washed (free range + dust bath + shows I go to are during dryer months) but the one time I did I used some dawn soap on my silkies legs and made sure she was 100% dry before moving her back outside
Thanks I haven’t been able to find it... I live in Australia and I don’t think we stock it here anymore...

Hmmm, well I’ve never shown birds, so I don’t know if there is something special you need. Though when ever I wash my birds I always use dawn dish soap. I don’t know if you have it over there or what the Australian equivalent would be.
Ok thanks.... I’ve just read I can use dog shampoo on google or I can get horse shampoo which is gentle on the skin...

Edit: I’ve also found a place called Murray mcmurry on the net who sell chicken suds and chicken conditioner...

Yes, you can do dog shampoo. I suppose some brands are better than others for chickens. Which do you use?
I was going to get one from a discount store called “our dog” I’ve already got the conditioner for it but the shampoo leaves a nice lavender scent.... other wise I’ve currently got some purina flea shampoo I could try....

I’ve currently got some purina flea shampoo I could try....
That probably has some ingredient intended for killing fleas on dogs-- so unless your chickens have fleas, I wouldn't use it. (If you do want to use it, look at the bottle to see what the active ingredient is, then check whether that is safe for chickens.)

I was going to get one from a discount store called “our dog” I’ve already got the conditioner for it but the shampoo leaves a nice lavender scent.... other wise I’ve currently got some purina flea shampoo I could try....
Either could work, but I don’t have experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom