Can inconsistent humidity, or too much humidity really kill a chick?

Can inconsistent humidity, or too much humidity really kill a chick?

Are we talking about a fertile egg in incubation? My humidity goes up and down a lot and I've never had problems with the development or hatching of the chicks. Once they're in the brooder and fluffed up I don't think humidity really matters because they should be acclimated to wherever they're from

yes fertile egg in incubation. Thank you for your reply! I love the information you've given. I've heard of dry incubation, and always high humidity and everywhere inbetween. While they're in the incubating process do you know if humidity can effect the process much? Can they die?

yes fertile egg in incubation. Thank you for your reply! I love the information you've given. I've heard of dry incubation, and always high humidity and everywhere inbetween. While they're in the incubating process do you know if humidity can effect the process much? Can they die?
What matters is the size of the air cell. If humidity is too high, the air cell will be too small and the chick will have issues hatching, sometimes from growing too big and being unable to turn or fluid in air cell. Too low humidity will make the air cell too large and the bird will run out of room and die. It's well documented.

Swings will not matter much, just the average. Chickens are tough critters but you will have much better hatches if you do pay attention to humidity and adjust as needed.

Mine fluctuated a lot and was high most of the time I had 39 out of 40 hatch. One died trying to hatch sadly. I broke all the rules too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom