can incubated goslings not imprint on humans?

Hi EmAbTo48... a unique name I would say. If the momma goose or another female is around there should be no problem putting your feathered young with the crew. I raise geese as well as ducks and chickens and have put incubated gosling with the pack all the time. The only thing I would keep an eye out for are the males at times.

I have had a jealous male get nasty with goslings before but very rare. Most of the time the males will be just as protective over the goslings as if they were his own offspring. For that matter I have had geese raise ducklings as well without any issues. I have Embdens, Chinese, Pilgrim and Toulouse and all 4 breeds are good with new goslings and as I said good with ducklings as well.

Give her a shot and you should see a positive acceptance unless momma goose is setting on eggs. If you have a goose setting she may leave the nest to care for the other youngins. If not setting then it should be OK. Steve

Thanks! We right now have a 4 all females! They hatched out all their eggs which I sold off I have 2 Sebastopols ( I sold the male seb 2 weeks ago since I purchased 2 new ones that I am hoping will be better quality) one embden and one cotton patch goose that lost her mate Febuaray for a nasty dog attack ( I am getting a new gander gosling this coming month) so that leaves a group of lovely mommas!

They have my 2 gander sebs that they are caring for right now. I went and picked up 2 American Buffs (these will be raised for meat) But they were to imprinted on people poor things ran like they were going to die everytime I brought them to the group even though all my ladies were just trying so hard to get them to follow them :(

Anyways, I know geese aren't as friendly if raised by mom but I love them doing it they are the best at it. None of my female geese were hand raised all were raised by the goose and they allow me to take eggs and even goslings with not to much of a fuss. They even allowed me to check eggs all while broodying this year they are great! And they all were dieing to be parents.

Their is nothing better to see yellow fluff balls wondering our land together its so sweet how they all are so loving and protective.

But looks like I will be mom to these 2 buffs for now lol they are fun when imprinted on you too!

Last edited:
Well it seems you have the trust of the females which is a good sign. I always have faith in my girls to take care of any geese I may hatch out of the incubator and they never let me down. I hope you enjoy your fuzzballs and I am confident the youngins will be taken care of. Since they grow up fast enjoy your time with them.

As my neighbors say "I am a fruitcake" because I talk to the birds all the time, even the goslings.All my geese have names as well. Nobody gets left out. In the mornings when I open up to let everyone out for the day I can easily do a roll call. All geese but 1 answer me back as I call their names. To me it is sometimes an advantage to hatch from the incubator and the time spent with me before I hand them over to a female goose I know I have made my imprint on them. Mamma geese are awesome surrogates. Enjoy Steve

Back
Top Bottom