Can it be Cocci without Bloody Stools?

aoxa

Crowing
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Shediac Cape NB, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I have quite a few Meaties and Red Sex Links (layers) that are one week old today. As of last night there are a lot of lethargic chicks and 6 dead. No bloody stools.

Symptoms:
Lethargy
Puffed up
Tired
Slow

I cleaned out pen last night. They have not had medicated feed as I do not use it at all.

With all of the chicks I've raised, this is my very first case of possible cocci.

So I'm getting Corid (if it's available) to treat the remaining chicks.

I have 3 other groups in different areas and all are extremely healthy. No signs at all of a weakened state.

Remember, No bloody stools.

I have no idea what else it could be though. They are only a week old.

Yes. There are several strains of cocci, I believe 9, and only a couple cause bloody stools. With those symptoms I agree that Corid is the way to go. Add a little powdered milk to their feed, if you have it, to help soothe their guts.

Yes. There are several strains of cocci, I believe 9, and only a couple cause bloody stools. With those symptoms I agree that Corid is the way to go. Add a little powdered milk to their feed, if you have it, to help soothe their guts.
Think I have a chance to save a good % of them now? First sign of symptoms started last night. I am not able to dose them until after 3pm today.

We started with 90 chicks. Down to 84 now.

I hate losing them. I hate watching them suffer.

I'd say 25% were showing sluggishness last night. Some more so than others. This morning I went right to work, and my fiance did chores. She said a lot of them (she is not as detailed as me) were lethargic. One dead, two very close to dead. I am assuming the two died, making our loss at 6 total. Only 4 to this. The first two losses were when they were only a day or two old. I don't want to say that was cocci. Can it really happen that young? I thought it took a week or so to show signs/symptoms.

Four more have died.

Total loss is 10 now.

Many lethargic.

Is 7 days old too young for cocci as a possibility? Everything I've read describes 10 days + They would have started showing symptoms at 6 days old.

Four more have died.

Total loss is 10 now.

Many lethargic.

Is 7 days old too young for cocci as a possibility? Everything I've read describes 10 days + They would have started showing symptoms at 6 days old.
Yes,it is possible for 7 day old chicks to have an overload of Coccidiosis. Cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,there are 9 strains of Cocci. There is NOT always blood with Coccidiosis,incubation time is anywhere from 3-7 days. Most birds have some cocci,only becomes a problem when they have an overload,then we treat with medication. Cocci is spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings,so it is possible for very young chicks to have a problem with cocci. Cocci kills very fast. Make sure all chicks are treated. Do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication).

Back
Top Bottom